Friday 13 April 2018

TECHNIQUE VS SKILLS- IF YOU DONT KNOW THIS, YOU KNOW NOTHING

Though these (Technique and skills) are more of a general terms which are applicable in all parts of life and are applicable in every art but let me explain this is terms of martial arts combat.

In my martial arts journey, I have seen many people who are often confused with this term.

This confusion is more among traditional martial artist because traditional martial artist relies on a lot of techniques without practicing enough and becoming skilled in that. And this is why most of the time traditional martial artist gets defeated by hands of MMA and even Muay Thai guys in bare hand fighting. I am not including all traditional martial artist in this statement but most of them are included.

I think you all might have get an idea what is the difference between technique and skills. Let me simplify it a lot more.

Technique means what way one knows in tackllng a certain situation or certain technique. This means technical person knows how to counter any technique but may or may not be able to actually apply in real combat situation.

Skill means expertise in applying a certain technique. One can be said as skilled person, when one has practiced enough in all kinds of situation and can apply what he/she knows. This means he/she just not only know a certain technique but can apply that technique in any kind of situation.

If i have to differentiate between two in a single line, i will differentiate it as below:

TECHNIQUE + PRACTICE MANY TIMES + VARIOUS SITUATIONS = SKILLED PERSON

So one who is very technical may be knowing a lot of stuff. But one who is skilled, may or may not know a lot but can certainly apply things what he knows.


For example, in the picture iam applying Finger lock. Though I know this technique but this do not means I can apply this against every other fighter. This simply means I know this technique. I may be or may not be skilled enough in practical application.

Another thing in reality is I can apply this finger lock technique practically too. I may be sounding egoistic but let me be true to myself and to you. 

I hope this makes it clear. Keep practicing hard and enough to become skilled and not just being technical if you want to live like a warrior.

Some of the Bruce lee Quotes -

I do not fear a man who has practiced 10000 kicks once, but i fear a man who has practiced one kick 10000 times.

Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough we must do.




Namaste

Ranjit Mishra
Martial Warriors Academy


Click on above link to go to home page.

No comments:

Post a Comment